Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Germany coach Heynen to step down in September



 
Vital Heynen is set to lead Germany in this year's World League
Berlin, Germany, January 25, 2016 – Germany coach Vital Heynen has announced that he will not renew his contract when it comes to an end on September 30. 

Before then the Belgian will lead Germany in Group 3 of the FIVB Volleyball World League.
Germany missed out on qualifying for Rio 2016 at the European Olympic Qualification Tournament when they finished fourth in a tournament that they hosted at the Max-Schmeling-Halle in Berlin. 

“Today I am writing this message to you to inform all that I am saying goodbye to the German national team in the next few months,” Heynen said in a statement. “After the tournament in Berlin I had informed the association that I would not renew my existing contract. 

“I also stated that I have a new challenge in the next few years, but this time not in Germany. I hope to be part of the team for the World League, but if they want to bring my successor in before then, that won’t be a problem for me.”

Heynen took over in 2012 and led Germany to the quarterfinals at the London 2012 Olympic Games before he guided them to third place at the FIVB Volleyball World Championship, Poland 2014. It was Germany’s first World Championship medal since 1970 and they followed it up by winning the inaugural European Games at Baku 2015. 

“We respect the desire of Vital Heynen, to step down after this year's World League after more than three years,” DVV President Thomas Krohne said. “We would like to thank him for his successful work and the significant contribution he has made to the professionalisation and performance of Germany’s men’s team, which is now among the top international sides.”

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your contribution

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...