Friday, June 17, 2016

Postcard from France: Don’t take me home

England's Jamie Vardy, front right, celebrates after scoring his side’s first goal during the Euro 2016 Group B soccer match between England and Wales at the Bollaert stadium in Lens, France, Thursday, June 16, 2016. (Kirsty Wigglesworth/AP)

Sportsnet’s Thomas Dobby is at Euro 2016. Here’s his first postcard from France.

Don’t take me home. Please don’t take me home. I just don’t want to go to work. I wanna stay here, drink all your beer, please don’t please don’t take me home.

Amen.

That's the fans’ song of Euro 2016 here in France. And I agree with every word. I've only been here a week, but I have enough memories to last a lifetime already, and probably some good ones I can't remember.

We started in Paris, watching England vs. Russia in the fan zone by the Eiffel Tower. Sunset, soccer and a stunning backdrop. Could be worse. Only a Russian stoppage time equalizer could spoil my mood.

The fan zones are brilliant, though. There's one in every host city, with massive screens and fans wearing jerseys from just about every country here, and lots that aren't (see: Scotland).

The Irish fans lit up Paris over the weekend and in to Monday when they faced Sweden at the Stade de France. The Swedes have traveled really well also, so it made for a cracking atmosphere. Even though I was a neutral, it was an entertaining game and I couldn't help but get swept up in, considering the noise from both sets of fans. There was little hassle getting in, with security equally present and efficient.

My second match was Portugal vs. Iceland in Saint Etienne. A 45-minute train ride from my base of Lyon was full of boisterous, excited and all around pleasant Icelanders. You got the sense they were just happy to be here. But you couldn't say the same for the team, who held their own against Portugal.

Iceland earned point in their first-ever major tournament match against a heavyweight. The players and fans were in dreamland, and rightly so. What a massive achievement, and reason to celebrate, despite Cristiano Ronaldo's ridiculously naive comments afterwards. I also had a first row view of Ronaldo not shaking hands afterwards, and barely making his way in to the Portugal end to applaud the fans, while the rest of the team went all the way near the end-line and thanked their support (who by the way, were very good as well—Loud, passionate and soccer savvy).



Watching the home team, in a local bar, is always something special, and Wednesday was no different in Lyon. It was already a party atmosphere; mix in the amazing Northern Ireland fans (in town for Thursday's match vs. Ukraine) and a dramatic late win for France, and well... La fĂŞte commence.

I probably should have slept a bit more than I did before a four-hour trek, each way, to Lens for England vs. Wales... But, as they say, when in France... Or something.

A 3:00 pm kickoff in the sunshine in Lens made for a great atmosphere among the English and Welsh fans in the tiny Northern town.



TODAY 17-06-2016 to 22-06-2016 1OO% SURE-BET.
‪#‎GET_Filtered_Soccer_Match with 1.70-1.75 ODDs Daily.
Deposit or Fund your account with a total of $10(N3,300),$5(N1,650) AND $3(N990) RESPECTIVELY and ROLL-OVER your winning without withdrawal TO EARN Atleast $410(N135,000),$205(N67,650) AND $123(N40,624) RESPECTIVELY in Every 7 days.
This is a 100% STREAMS Of INCOME You Can Trust. Call +234 7046498734 Now. Terms & Conditions Apply.
‪#‎These_match_starts_by_2pm
EUFA Euro 2016:
Italy - Sweden
X-10min@ 1.13

Czech Republic - Croatia
X-10min@ 1.14

Spain - Turkey
X-10min@ 1.16

Belgium - Republic of Ireland
X-10min@ 1.16

Iceland - Hungary
X-10min@ 1.14

Portugal - Austria
X-10min@ 1.15

Switzerland - France
X-10min@ 1.16

Romania - Albania
X-10min@ 1.15

Slovakia - England
X-10min@ 1.17

Russia - Wales
X-10min@ 1.15

Ukraine - Poland
X-10min@ 1.15

Northern Ireland - Germany
X-10min@ 1.22

Croatia - Spain
X-10min@ 1.16

Czech Republic - Turkey
X-10min@ 1.16

Hungary - Portugal
X-10min@ 1.17

Iceland - Austria
X-10min@ 1.15

Italy - Republic of Ireland
X-10min@ 1.15

Sweden - Belgium
X-10min@ 1.16

Odd 32.50
Amount ₦20,000

BOOKING NUMBER for bet9ja.com only and available for residence in NIGERIA only.(PCVNFS)


There were rumours of Lens being dry for 24 hours around the match. Ha! It was more like the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. But there wasn't a hint of trouble among the fans. In fact, I haven't seen one ounce of anything but great camaraderie the whole time I've been here.

Joe Hart's howler had me muttering to myself through halftime at the top of the tiny, but character-filled stadium. And even though Jamie Vardy was having a party (and equalized), I was still muttering to myself as the fourth official flashed three minutes of stoppage time. I had visions of England crushingly going out in the group stage, much like two years ago in Brazil. But oh how one moment changes everything. I was mentally doing the Sturridge dance all the way back to Lyon. Can't beat that moment, especially as an England fan who has endured a lot more lows than highs over the years. But there's still plenty of time for that.

Next up, France vs. Switzerland in Lille on Sunday and Ukraine vs. Poland in Marseille on Tuesday. Unfortunately Ukraine is already out, but I'm sure it won't damper the party. Not much will.

Don't take me hoooooome, please don't take me hoooooome...



CREDIT TO:http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/euro-2016-france-england-portugal-ronaldo-iceland-wales/

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your contribution

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...